Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hello Cairo

Good bye country life...hello Cairo and 16 million people. Into the countryside to visit the first and oldest Pyramid, the Step Pyramid at Saqqara. Then THE Pyramids we all have fantisized about on the Giza plateau. Today it is the second pyramid, Chephren that is open, it changes daily. This is not for the unfit. We climb up and then down, I am not counting the steps, but someone is...165 X 2.
It is hot, there is no air, and some feel as though they are going to faint. We get out in record time, but everyone is so pleased they did it. Would you do it again...certainly would.
Now lets find a camel or a horse and ride down to the Sphinx. What is the mystery in that right paw?? Hopefully someday the Egyptian gov't will allow more research to be done.
On a visit to Old Cairo and the Coptic area we discover where the baby Jesus was supposed to have been hidden. Nearby was the oldest Coptic church and the oldest Synagogue in the world.
The Mohamed Ali Mosque has beautiful ceilings, and the most tremendous chandeliers I have ever seen. Geyer Anderson House maintains the original furnishings of an old luxury house once owned by a wealthy Englishman.
Evenings watching whirling Dervish, or a trip to the Khan El Kalili bazaar. Stop to have a coffee in the cafe of mirrors where Mahfouz often sat and wrote his books.
The Egyptian museum is a full day, and some say 2, to view it properly. The King Tut exhibition is quite fantastic. Statues of Akhenaten and his Queen Nefertiti's head are the only items of them left in Egypt. The amazing head of Nefertiti we always see pictures of is being held captive in a German museum.
I visited the climate controled mummy room for an extra fee and saw the remains of several Pharoahs and Queens. Look closely at Rames II ,the hennaed hair, the strong jawline and nose, high cheekbones, and you can visualise what he must have looked like 3,000 years ago. The wigs on the Queens look like hair fashion today.
So much to take in, overwhelmed, awe struck, something happened to me there, and I must return again soon were the comments. I always have enjoyed Egypt and that is why I return again and again. My spirit soars, a calmness envelopes me, I am at peace, I am in harmoney.
Each time I return I find my vibration has once again been elevated.

No comments:

Post a Comment