Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Food is sensual

Food is sensual and can be a wonderful experience. One of the joys of travel is being exposed to different flavors, textures, and traditional recipes. Even if you are not a gourmet cook you can appreciate the finesse that goes into each preparation. Buying the spices in the markets, taking them home to experiment, is a joy for many a traveler. A blend of 35 spices can be bought in most souks, (that is a outdoor market place in the old medinas) in Morocco. It will give your tagine that added umph, it's what makes it taste authentic.
You will find, if you ask around in some of the restuarants, cooking classes are available in many places. I have done them in the breakfast room of my Homestay in Delhi, India where I learned to make "Nan" bread without a clay oven. The Morning Glory resatuarant in HoiAn, Vietnam has the most impressive setup for classes and where I learned to make fresh spring rolls...did you know there was a difference? Honeymoon Bakery Guesthouse in Ubud, Bali is where I learned to make green pancakes flavored with coconut milk and coloured with pandan leaves, and in a Riad in Fez I learned how to roast eggplant and rub the skin off in a bag.
They all started with a morning market tour to buy ingredients, then off to the kitchen you went to prepare what you later got to eat. I am looking forward to doing one in Goa to learn about southern India cuisine. There is a difference.
The rule I made for myself many years ago when I began to travel the world was eat the local dishes and only drink the local beers or wine. Sometimes the wine is pretty rough, and it has been known to stain my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment